Wednesday 7 March 2012

Varied much?

Recently I had a debate with a few friends and yea whilst it was friendly it did get me thinking a fair bit. Most of my closer friends are a lot older than me and understanding. The others who are not so close are younger and obnoxious at times and can be very difficult to have a conversation with. In this incident the debate in question was on the lines of "can you mix or like several styles within a subculture or several subcultures and still be true to them"

To this I replied yes you can, as no subculture is relied on fashion or clothing alone. I personally like many different styles. Goth,cyber,lolita,steampunk,gothabilly,visual-kei,deathrock,etc. Liking all aspects of each. They attempted to contradict this with varying arguments which really didn't make much sense and seamed to bounce back upon itself in various points. So I thought I would throw the question out there to get you thinking.... Can you be properly part of more than one subculture? Sadly there will always be elitests out there but not everyone is. Most of the alternative subcultures are supposed to be understanding and open-minded yet not everyone in them is, at times I find they can be the most tunnel visioned people. This does not apply to everyone but just a few. Thoughts on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment